For all you game lovers, the term “Role Playing Game” is not new to you. It is one of the most popular video gaming genres which has been in existence for many years. With the advancement in technology and with mobile platforms taking centre stage, the Role Playing Game has also found its way into various app stores, including the Google Play Store, where these game apps have gained a lot of popularity as well.
Talking in simple terms, Role Playing Games (or RPG) can be considered the category of games where roles and characters are assumed by players in a fictional scenario. These types of games are mainly focused on a story where a player starts the game as a character and then train it in various ways as per the requirements of the story of the game. As the player’s character advances in the story, it attains higher levels and becomes more powerful so it can take on even greater challenges that the RPG throws at you.
When it comes to the Google Play Store, there is wide range of games on the app store and the RPG is no exception. Some of these RPG games are free, some are paid for upfront, and others are free with in-game purchases. If you also wish to enjoy the experience of Role Playing Gaming on your Android device, but do not wish to put a large burden on your wallet, then do not worry as we have picked out the top 3 free Role Playing Games for this device.
Galaxy On Fire 2
Developed by Deep Silver, Galaxy On Fire 2 is one of the finest and most popular free RPGs on the Android platform. Also abbreviated as GoF2, this HD game is the 2nd game in the set of the Galaxy on Fire Universe and features impressive 3D graphics.
In Galaxy On Fire 2 the player takes the role of Keith T. Maxwell who is a war veteran and who protects the galaxy from impending destruction that is caused by various space pirates, alien raiders, and other power-crazed madmen. The game offers over 10 hours of the main game campaign and also features additional adventures of unlocking story add-ons: Supernova and Valkyrie. Some of the other interesting options of the game include getting exclusive access to new content, missions, and purchasing your own space station called Kaamo Club so you can park your space ship or store valuable items.
Features of the Game:
Other than the features mentioned, some of the other features of the game include:
- Interesting combination of story driven and mission based game play
- Detailed 3D models and excellent quality visuals along with stunning special FX
- Full voice acting along with 3D sound and orchestral soundtrack
- The Action Freeze feature of the game enables you to take screen shots and save on your device
- Support to array of Android phones and tablets with different resolution and capabilities
- As a player, one can also get in touch with other fans of the game.
- Leaderboards and achievements through Google Play Game Services
- A huge Galaxy with more than 20 star system and over 100 planets and space stations
- Over 50 customizable spaceships and variety of power ups, weapons, and commodities
Link for downloading the game: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.fishlabs.gof2hdallandroid2012&hl=en
Pixel Dungeon is another popular RPG which is basically a rogue like game which technically means that your character in the game travels and moves through various dungeon levels that are filled with loot and monsters. The game has a simple interface and features pixel art graphics. The main goal of the player in the game is to beat the 5th boss and then get the Amulet of Yendor and for these challenges you need to move through 25 difficult levels of the game. It’s a turn based game where you can take your time to make the decisions but you have to be careful during this time as you are faced with monsters, hidden traps, and possible starvation from lack of food. Like other rogue like games, Pixel Dungeon also features permadeath which means that when the character in the game dies, it has to start from the beginning and thus all the progress made earlier is lost.
Features of the game:
- The game has music by Cube_Code and basic sound fx
- The touch interface of the game is effective and simple
- It features 4 classes of characters including Warrior, Huntress, Mage and Rogue
- There are 25 levels in the game which are randomly generated and has various features of the dungeons as well
- There are 25 different types of monsters in the game and 5 bosses
- The game has more than 80 types of items including scrolls, armor, wands, weapons, and other interesting items
- Other features include alchemy, shops, simple quests, rankings and badges.
Link for downloading the game: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.watabou.pixeldungeon&hl=en
Developed by an indie game studio, MobileBits, Soul Craft is tagged as the best free Action RPG game on the mobile platform. The concept of the game is set where the humans are about to find the secret of the eternal life and the angels and the demons enter into a pact so as to proclaim the apocalypse in order to materialize in the real world and fight for victory with the humans in order to keep the life circle intact. Presently the game allows you to play the character of an Angel, but soon one can also play as a demon or a human.
Features of the game:
- Stunning graphics with interesting game play.
- There are 5 different modes in the game including arena, run, crystal defense, hellgate and boss fights
- The game allows you to combat the demons in real locations like Rome, New York, Venice, Egypt, and others around the world
- The game comes with an array of different enemies along with weapons, equipment, gear and other items for fighting
- The multiplayer feature of the game enables you to challenge your friends in the game while option of Co-OP multiplayer is also coming soon
Link for downloading the game: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.mobilebits.soulcraftdefault&hl=en