The latest Galaxy Note 2 from Samsung is going to have a 5.5-inch Super AMOLED display and a stylus, as announced by the manufacturer at the 2012 IFA consumer trade show in Berlin, Germany. Based on the revealed specs, the new Galaxy Note 2 is slimmer than its predecessor is and will only be 9.4mm thick. It will first be available in Europe from October before international shipments commence, including the US.
The nicely termed phablet, Samsung N7100 runs on the following hardware specifications :-
- Processor: 1.6Ghz quad-core Exynos with 2GB RAM
- Screen: Super AMOLED High Definition that supports a maximum of 1280 by 720 pixels in resolution
- Form: 80mm, 151.1mm, 9.4mm and weighs 180g
- Storage: 16/32/64GB options for the internal memory and microSDHC support to a maximum of 64GB
- Camera: 8MP rear and 2MP front
- Connectivity: HSPA+, 4G LTE (where it is available), Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi and USB 2.0 support
- Power: 3100mAh battery (removable)
- Navigation: A-GPS and Glonass
- Others: S pen (has an improved grip and rubber tip)
Improvements on the Galaxy Note 2 include the hardware specified above and the software tricks that are now enabled on the S Pen. Users can use it to hover over icons to reveal some of their contents like email list or snippets of text. The new capability goes by the name, “Air View”, literally overlaying contents of an app on other apps or the home screen.
There is a video preview feature and folder preview, and this will reduce the number of steps needed to navigate around the OS of the phablet. The Galaxy Note 2 is also intelligent enough to remind you that you have forgotten to take the stylus with you.
With “Easy Clip”, users can outline and manipulate any content on screen such as sharing screenshots, pasting them to other documents or just saving them on the phablet. All this happens by using a pressing gesture on the S Pen. Another improvement on the stylus is the “Idea Visualizer” that makes the device able to recognize hand written keywords.
It is already one year since the release of the original Galaxy Note, and the Galaxy Note 2 that is heavier by 2g, has a bigger display by a lower screen resolution, with a bigger battery. The extra storage options are an additional improvement since its predecessor only came with 16GB support. The Bluetooth is also a version higher on the new device and so is the OS, as it comes with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean while the previous Note came with Android 2.3 Gingerbread.