Good news for anyone who owns the Sony Xperia X10 as you can now install the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware with Cyanogen Mod 10.2. Until recently having CM 10 on the Xperia X10 was simply not possible. This has been brought to us by a senior member of the XDA developers ( scritch007 ) who is a highly reputed firmware developer.
Disclaimer: Please note that this is NOT an official Sony update. This ROM is not yet fully stable, but most of the new features work just fine. Expect to see more ports coming soon, as the bug reports come rolling in. Also remember that rooting your Sony Xperia X10 will void any warranties, and could possibly brick your device if you do not know what you are doing.
With all that being said, lets look at some of the highlighted working features of the CM 10.2 :
- Gallery ( no video as of yet )
- Airplane Mode ( Currently it will ask for a sim code when leaving airplane mode. If you click the reject button it will work properly. )
- Halt and Reboot
- Default camera functions although with minor glitches
Backup and Other Precautions :
You will lose data stored on your device, so take a few precautions to back up your precious data along with a few other precautions.
- Sync your contacts to Gmail for easy retrieval on any device.
- Copy all of your pictures and files to an SD card
- SMS messages can be backed up using apps available for free in the Play Store.
- APN settings should be backed up as well. Applications>Settings>Wireless and Networks>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names
- Charge your battery. Full charge is preferred but we recommend at least 85%.
- Check to make sure your phone is properly rooted. You cannot perform this upgrade without root access.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device.
How to Install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean CM 10 Custom Firmware on Sony Xperia X10
With all the proper precautions in place, it is time to start the actual update process. Follow the guide carefully, and make sure you understand each step before beginning. There are a couple of downloads you will need to make using the links we provide, and you should get the ROM Manager App from the Play Store.
Remember please that you are 100% responsible for what happens to your device. The following guide is not supported by SONY so you are on your own if you mess up.
Rooting your phone can potentially open yourself to certain other malicious scripts, as your phone will be open to internal tampering. Make sure that you understand the risks involved, and use a good security suite when browsing sites you aren’t sure of.
Steps to Update Sony Xperia X10 :
- First you need to download the Jellybean 4.1 firmware for the SONY X10 Xperia along with the Google Apps package. Just click the links and remember where you downloaded them to.
- Connect your device to the computer and enable Mass Storage so that you can transfer files. Place both of these files in the ROOT DIRECTORY of your SD card.
- Get a ROM Manager App from the Play Store which will give you the option to “Boot into Recovery Mode”. This will reboot your device, opening a new menu which will allow you to continue.
- It is imperative that you select the options “Wipe Cache Partition” and “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” to clear all data from the device. ( See how important a backup is? )
- Now we can get to the good stuff. You will be able to select “install zip from sd card” to find the Jellybean 4.1 firmware package you downloaded. Repeat this step only this time find the Google Apps zip file.
- After this is done, your device will need anywhere from 3-5 minutes in order to properly install the update. Once completed you can choose to “go back” then select the available option to “Reboot System Now”
Please be aware that since this is the first time the firmware has booted, it will take longer than normal this time around. Just be patient as it is well worth it. Once your Xperia X10 is up and running, you can verify the update in your settings under the “About Phone” menu. If you see Cyanogen mod 10 and Jellybean 4.1 firmware, then everything was a success.