The Google Nexus S has been launched since quite a sometime but the phone is still getting the updates to make it strong and the recent addition to the list is CM10.1 M2 Android 4.2.2 Custom ROM update. This latest update will bring in the added features of the OS to offer enhanced experience to the users. A custom recovery like CWM will be needed to install the zip file of this ROM as it is not an official Google release.
Disclaimer :-This tutorial is applicable only for the particular model mentioned in the title of this tutorial and not for any other Android device. So, don’t try this tutorial on any other devices. All the Official Firmwares, Custom ROMs, Tools, Mods, Apps and more such things acknowledged in this tutorial pertain to their particular owners or developers. Although, it is improbable that your Android device may get damaged or bricked if you follow the procedure mentioned in this tutorial. So, do it on your own risk. Also, ToDroid.com or the developers or the owners are not bound or liable to any harm caused while following the steps in this tutorial as we are not forcing you to try out this tutorial.
Firmware Details :-
The Android Jelly Bean CM10.1 M2 custom ROM may cause various problems like phone not booting, FC Errors, various bugs and others and in order to fix these problems you will need the reinstallation of the stock firmware or other Custom ROM that is stable.
Pre-requisites, Important Tips & Pre-cautions :-
- Make sure that :
- You have installed all the latest and updated USB Drivers of your Android device on your PC or Laptop.
- The battery of your Android device is charged and should have at least 70% – 80% power.
- USB Debugging Mode is “Enabled” on your Android device. You can find this in “Settings”.
- Your Android Device is “Rooted” and “ClockworkMod Recovery” is installed on your Device.
- You have performed “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and “Wipe Cache Partition” before proceeding from the recovery mode.
- Back Up :
- All your important data such as Call Log, Contacts, SMS Messages, Memos, Internet settings, WiFi settings, Android Apps and other data.
- All the Important files, Personal folders, Images , Songs, Videos, etc.
- Confirm the model number or type of your Android device before executing this tutorial.
- The ODIN Utility which is used in this installation procedure will only work in Windows OS. If you are using any other OS like Linux, Ubuntu or Mac OS on your PC then your will have to use HEIMDALL (Cross Platform Tool) to flash this firmware.
- Note :- The Custom Firmware or Custom ROM which is included in this tutorial might contain bugs and issues as it is still under development. All the bugs and issues will be fixed or resolved as the development process progresses. After installing the Custom ROM, Samsung Kies will not detect your device because it’s an unofficial Firmware.
How to Install M2 CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Custom ROM on Google Nexus S (I9020)
In order to make the process of installing the CM10.1 M2 custom ROM on your Nexus S easy and convenient we are here bringing the detailed step by step guide. Before going in for the installation, make sure that you are doing it on Nexus S handset model number I9020 only.
Step By Step Guide :-
Step 1: The very first thing that you need to do is to download the Android Jelly Bean CM10.1 M2 Custom ROM and also the Google Apps for your handset on the computer.
Step 2: The next step in the process will be to connect the USB memory of your Nexus S Smartphone to your computer and mount it as well.
Step 3: Now the files which you have downloaded in the Step 1 are to be copied and pasted in the SD card of the phone. At this point of time make sure that files are copied in the root folder and not anywhere else.
Step 4: Now you will have to switch off your phone.
Step 5: In this step of the procedure you will need to take your Smartphone in the Bootloader mode and this can be done by pressing the keys of Volume Down, Volume UP and Power together for some time.
Step 6: Now follow the instructions which are given on the screen and make the selection of the Bootloader and move to the recovery.
Step 7: Next is the ClockworkMode (CWM) recovery in which data wipe is performed first and then you will need to move to the option of install zip from the SD card and select it by pressing the key of Power.
Step 8: Power button is again pressed in order to select the option of choose zip from the SD card.
Step 9: In this step you can make use of the volume files in order to move to the zip files of custom ROM and select them through pressing of Power Key. On the next screen as soon as you will confirm the installation, its procedure will start.
The above given process is to be followed for zip files of Google Apps also.
Step 10: Finally this is the last step in which you will need to move to the Go Back option and perform the reboot of your handset by selecting the option of reboot system now that is present in the recovery menu. It will take around 5 minutes for your phone to boot.
So that’s all. Now your Nexus S I9020 is installed with the Android Jelly Custom ROM for you to enjoy enhanced features. To make yourself rest assured go the About Phone option present in the setting to verify.