Samsung is quite busy in updating its smartphones these days. Some of them have already been upgraded, updates for some are announced and a few are still in the pipeline. While Google has already launched the 4.2 version of android commonly known as jelly bean, there are so many devices that are waiting for its previous version 4.0 ice cream sandwich update.
The next device that gets the Ice cream sandwich update is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 GT P7300 tablet. The update has already been rolled out by the company and the Galaxy Tab 8.9 is amongst the last models to get updated in the same series. Now all the tablets have the ICS update while the Galaxy Tab 2 is a step further with the JB update but one is doubtful whether tab 8.9 will get it or not.
This update will bring about a number of changes in your tablet that includes a much improved battery life, faster processing, multitasking, improved notifications, better animations and many more. The typeface has also been improved. One can update it via OTA or Samsung Kies. If you want to update it manually, read the instructions bellow.
Things you need to do before the updating process :-
- You need to have the latest USB drivers to connect your tablet to your system. Ensure your USB cable is working properly.
- Make sure you have a backup of all your important data to be on a safer side.
- Ensure that your tablet is completely charged so that the process does not stop in between.
- Enable the USB debugging mode of your device. (Settings> Developer options>USB debugging)
(Note: Follow the below procedure on your own risk. We do not take any responsibility of any consequences faced during the process)
How to update Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 GT-P7300 :-
- To begin with to have ODIN on your system. You can download it from here.
- Next, you need to download the root files. Click here to download. It is a zip file and you need to extract its content on your system.
- Restart your device to enable the download mode. ( Press the volume down and power button together along with the home button)
- Launch ODIN on the system and connect your tablet to it while it is in the download mode.
- The moment your system recognizes the tablet, the ID: COM boxes in ODIN will turn yellow.
- Select the files that you need to root from the folder extracted in step 2.
- If in step 6, you have selected the .pit file then ensure that you have also checked the auto-reboot, f.reset time and re-partition option.
- Click on start to begin with the rooting process. The process will take some time and your tablet will restart after completion.
- Disconnect your device from the system and switch it off.
- Turn it on again in the recovery mode. ( Enter the recovery mode by pressing the volume up, power and home button)
- Navigate to the wipe data/factory reset option with the help of volume buttons in the recovery menu options.
- Finally, choose the reboot system now and allow the tablet to boot to the home screen.
Now, your tablet is rooted and is running on the Official Android 4.0.4 ICS (P7300XXLQ6) Firmware.