The XXDLL4 Android 4.1.2 “Jelly Bean” update has been officially released in most countries for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (N7100). While this is generally available through the official Samsung KIES update center if you do not have access to it, or simply would like to update the phone yourself, simple follow these simple instructions and we’ll help you keep your phone up to speed.
Disclaimer: This guide is designed to assist you in upgrading your phone and should not be considered an “end all, be all” solution. As with any installation or personal modification to your device be careful when going about it and don’t jump into something you’re not comfortable with. We’re here to help, but can’t take any responsibility if you damage your phone somehow along the way. Be sensible, and proceed at your own risk.
Firmware Features :
The Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update sports a number of improvements, including :-
- Customization of the Notification Panel
- New additions to the existing Notification Toggles
- Users can now disable the Brightness Slider in the Notification Panel
- Users can now disables Multi-View
- The web browser has been improved to make the browsing experience much smoother
- The phone’s Status Bar is now black, rather than gray
- Samsung’s Continuous Input has been enabled (similar to the Android 4.2 keyboard)
- Group Cast has been added to the phone’s applications
- The lock screen now has a new ink effect
Firmware Details :
Firmware Name: Jelly Bean
Firmware Base: Google Android
Firmware Version: 4.1.2
Release Date: December 12, 2012
Released regions: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom
Backup & Other Precautions :
Before proceeding with any updates or modifications be sure to backup all of your personal and phone data to ensure no errors occur. Recommended steps include:
- Backing up all of your previous SMS messages
- Backing up all of your Contacts, Google Data and Gmail along with any other stored data (i.e. WhatsApp, WeChat or other app data)
- Backing up your call history
- Backing up all APN setting such as 3G, GPRS, WiFi or MMS settings.
The majority of your data will be backed up when conducting a standard synch with your PC using Google Sync. We highly recommend using a third party application such as ClockWorkMod to create a more comprehensive backup, however, as this will enable you to do a full rollback and system restore should you wish to return your phone to its previous state.
Please note as well that prior to conducting an update as described in the steps below your phone should be fully charged and unlocked from its carrier. If your phone is not unlocked please be sure to unlock your phone before proceeding. Please also note that this update is not designed for phones that have been unlocked in China, Hong Kong or Taiwan.
How to Install Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (N7100)
Step 1: Begin by downloading the Android 4.1.2 N7100XXDLL4 driver for the Galaxy Note 2 to your computer. This will be a ZIP file that needs to be extracted to an easy to locate folder for transfer to your phone.
Step 2: In order to ease the installation process be sure to also download ODIN 1.85 which will enable your computer to easily interact and install the new firmware onto your phone.
Step 3: Turn off your phone and change it to Download Mode. Do this by holding down both the Volume Down and Home buttons while pressing the Power button. The screen should eventually either show the Samsung logo and/or red and yellow text, indicating the phone is prepared to accept information.
Step 4: Open ODIN and connect your phone to your computer. Please note that if your computer is having a difficult time locating the phone you may need to update or reinstall the Galaxy Note 2 USB drivers on your PC. These can be found here or by using the Samsung KIES program here.
Step 5: Your phone will be successfully connected once an ID:COM box has turned yellow within the ODIN interface and a COM port number is displayed. Now it’s time to install the files onto your phone. Select the following files you extracted earlier from the Android 4.1.2 N7100XXDLL4 ZIP file to install onto your device:
- Under “PDA” select the appropriate file with “CODE” listed in its name
- Under “Phone” select the appropriate file with “MODEM” in its name. If no such file exists ignore this step.
- Under “CSC” select the appropriate file with “CSC” in its name. If no such file exists ignore this step.
- Under “PIT” select the appropriate .pit file. If no such file exists ignore this step.
Step 6: Check the options for “Auto Reboot” as well as “F. Reset Time” options within the ODIN interface. Only check “Re-Partition” if you have selected a PIT file from Step 5.
Step 7: Begin the update process with ODIN by clicking the Start button. Please be patient as this may take a while.
Step 8: After installation has been completed your phone will restart, at which stage you can unplug it from your computer.
Congratulations! You have just updated your Galaxy Note 2 to the new Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware. Enjoy the new features and functionality that this update can bring to you and your device.