Only in the final month of 2012, Galaxy Note 10.1 (SHW-M480S), Samsung’s South Korean tablet Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update was released. It was doing well but in a very short interval another more superior update which is the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware has been launched and was made available via Kies. If you own the same tablet and would rather download the latest update version manually, here are steps to guide you.
Disclaimer : The instructions herein are well-researched and verified by experts but we can’t be held liable for damages that might arise while following this tutorial – because this guide is published for anyone who wishes to be guided at their own risk. Note also that all procedures herein are designed strictly for M480S model only of Galaxy Note – and should not be used for other devices.
Firmware Features :-
Expect to enjoy the following 4.1.2 Jelly Bean features after the update:
- Performance and stability enhance by Project Buttler
- Complete user-interface restoration with UI similar to Galaxy Note 2 and S3
- Helpful Touch Wizard Nature UX
- S Cloud provisions of Samsung
- Flexible lock screen
- Added services such as Pop-up game, Direct Call and Smart Stay
- Galaxy S3 Widgets
- Complimentary Drop box storage with 50GB capacity
- Double mode for home screen
- Extra Notification bar with added Toggles
- Access to Google Now
Important Notes :-
Like most service upgrade, existing settings and software installed in the Galaxy Note 10.1 may disappear. ODIN will be utilised during the process of flashing the new firmware into the tablet. Backing up your files totally should be the first priority.
Firmware Details :-
Android 4.1.2 KSJMA2 Firmware Details:
Version: 4.1.2 of Android
Sales Code or CSC: M480SSKTJMA2
Build or PDA: M480SKSJMA2
Regions for Distribution: South Korea
Release Date: January 9, 2013
Installation of Android 4.1.2 USB drivers is a must on Samsung Galaxy 10.1 for rooting purposes – to be able to be connected into a computer. Download the latest USB driver for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 from here.
Back Up Help & More Precautions :-
Here are the suggested back-up systems for easy restoration process:
- Texts or SMS and Call Log – take advantage of the MMS, texts or SMS and Call Log Record Backup and Restoration Application (App)
- Contact Addresses andPersonal Settings – the default backup of Android is good enough
- Larger files like pictures, music and videos – better duplicate using Internal and External SD card.
Remember to note down the storage path of your backup Settings – just in case you forget where you saved them.
How to Install Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware (KSJMA2) on Galaxy Note 10.1 (SHW-M480S)
Updating manually is the best way to make this task done when other automatic updating systems like Kies and OTA (Over the Air) are not available or you are in a country where this update is not yet supported. Here’s how to do it after doing all the precautions above:
Download and extract the needed files – the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware and Odin 3.07. Switch off the device and set to Download Mode. Allow Odin 3.07.exe to run as Administrator. Attach Galaxy S2 to the computer using a USB when on Download Mode. Wait of one ID:COM box to turn yellow. Set to the following choices:
- CODE file on PDA
- MODEM file on Phone
- CSC file
- .Pit file
Make sure that F. Reset Time and Auto Reboot are highlighted. Repartition checkbox must also be ticked when utilising .Pit file. Turn on the device to flash the new update version – then wait for confirmation.
Please Note :-
Check on your serial number if you have the right model for this instruction, download the software needed, beware of all the precautions and do the manual installations as explained here. You will see that your device will reboot automatically. You can already disconnect your tool from the computer after the Samsung logo is shown on your screen. Just for rain check, continue reading to avoid mistakes:
Checklist Review :-
- 80% battery power must be retained while doing the process
- USB Driver installation for Galaxy Note 10.1 in your computer is done.
- USB is enabled for Debugging
Rooting Warning :-
Your root access will be void after installing the updated firmware. Re-rooting is needed for your tablet. Flash CF-Auto-Root into your Galaxy Note 10.1 and run the M480SKSJMA2 firmware. This can be accomplished using ODIN. Again, backup your data for restoration later on. Re-rooted devices will not be covered with warranty anymore unless you apply for the official firmware update. Use the “Root Checker” to see if the rooting process is successful. You can download it for free from Google Play or APP store.
Step by Step Guide :-
- Download the applications needed from the links provided:
- Extract zip files of these downloads
- Turn off the device and allow at least 6 seconds to shut off completely
- Press and hold the volume down together with the power button to bring it to the Download Mode. Once the Samsung Galaxy logo returned to the screen, Download Mode will follow next.
- Allow Odin3 v3.07.exe to run as Administrator
- Connect Galaxy Note 10.1 with the Personal Computer by attaching the USB cable. “Added” will be reflected in the Odin message box when the cable is properly installed. Transfer to another USB port if this is not the case. Reinstall the USB driver if there are further problems.
- Check for COM port if the corresponding number is in yellow. This means that the device installation is successful.
- View the Odin files and set the following from the extracted firmware:
- Tick the PDA Button and choose CODE .tar file
- Tick the Phone Button and choose MODEM file if you can find it, if not – leave it
- Tick the CSC Button and choose CSC file but don’t fuss over it when there’s none
- Tick the PIT Button and choose the .pit file when you come across it during the file extraction stage. Otherwise, don’t be bothered.
- Auto Reboot – as well as F. Reset must be adjusted prior to flashing. Time checkboxes must be on. Re-Partition checkbox also must not be left unmarked if using a .pit file.
- Turn on the equipment for the flashing procedure to start.
- Rebooting will follow automatically upon the flashing has been done – with a PASS message reflecting on the left-most part of the box – as an indication that flashing is indeed completed. Disconnect the device from the computer by simply unplugging the USB cable.
This is a very straightforward manner to run Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Note 10.1 M480S. Just follow the guide every step of the way – and you can never go wrong!