In order to offer the AOSP Android experience to the users of Samsung Epic 4G the team of CyanogenMod has recently come out with the Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 M2 custom ROM for the phone. Since this is not an official Google release but a custom ROM so the users will need to have the custom recovery like ClockworkMod so that the zip file of ROM can be flashed on the handset.
Disclaimer :-This tutorial is applicable only for the particular model mentioned in the title of this tutorial and not for any other Android device. So, don’t try this tutorial on any other devices. All the Official Firmwares, Custom ROMs, Tools, Mods, Apps and more such things acknowledged in this tutorial pertain to their particular owners or developers. Although, it is improbable that your Android device may get damaged or bricked if you follow the procedure mentioned in this tutorial. So, do it on your own risk. Also, ToDroid.com or the developers or the owners are not bound or liable to any harm caused while following the steps in this tutorial as we are not forcing you to try out this tutorial.
Firmware Details :-
The CM10.1 M2 custom ROM is nightly build and thus one must be aware that after the installation of this firmware various problems can be encountered like boot loops, improper apps working, FC errors, bugs and phone not working. So in order to fix these problems, one will need to do the re-installation of the stock firmware or of the other custom ROM that is stable.
Pre-requisites, Important Tips & Pre-cautions :-
- Make sure that :
- You have installed all the latest and updated USB Drivers of your Android device on your PC or Laptop.
- The battery of your Android device is charged and should have at least 70% – 80% power.
- USB Debugging Mode is “Enabled” on your Android device. You can find this in “Settings”.
- Your Android Device is “Rooted” and “ClockworkMod Recovery” is installed on your Device.
- You have performed “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and “Wipe Cache Partition” before proceeding from the recovery mode.
- Back Up :
- All your important data such as Call Log, Contacts, SMS Messages, Memos, Internet settings, WiFi settings, Android Apps and other data.
- All the Important files, Personal folders, Images , Songs, Videos, etc.
- Confirm the model number or type of your Android device before executing this tutorial.
- The ODIN Utility which is used in this installation procedure will only work in Windows OS. If you are using any other OS like Linux, Ubuntu or Mac OS on your PC then your will have to use HEIMDALL (Cross Platform Tool) to flash this firmware.
- Note :- The Custom Firmware or Custom ROM which is included in this tutorial might contain bugs and issues as it is still under development. All the bugs and issues will be fixed or resolved as the development process progresses. After installing the Custom ROM, Samsung Kies will not detect your device because it’s an unofficial Firmware.
How to Install CM10.1 M2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Custom ROM on Samsung Epic 4G (SPH-D700)
Step by Step Guide :-
Step 2: Now by making the use of USB cable, connect your phone to your computer.
Step 3: For the next step you will have to copy as well as paste the zip files of the custom ROM and Google Apps on the root folder of your handsets SD card.
Step 4: Now switch off the power of your Smartphone and then disconnect it from your computer.
Step 5: Now in this step you will need to turn on your phone in the recovery mode by pressing as well as holding the keys of Home, Volume Up and Power together for around few seconds.
Step 6: Now in the CWM recovery mode you will need to perform the action of wiping the data first and after which move down in order to do the installation of the zip file from the SD card. This can be done by pressing the Power button.
Step 7: In this next step, the Power button needs to be pressed again in order to choose the zip files from the sdcard.
Step 8: Now you will have to browse to the ROM zip file with the help of volume buttons and select it by pressing the Power Key. Now in order to start the process of installation, you will have to make its confirmation on the next screen.
Step 9: The above given 8th step needs to be followed again for the zip file of Google Apps.
Step 10: In this last step after the completion of the installation process, you will need to reboot your handset that you can do by selecting the option of reboot that is there in the recovery menu.
So finally your Samsung Epic 4G is now installed with the latest Android Jelly Bean Custom ROM and you can also confirm this by going to Settings and then About Phone option.