From the time, Google has launched the android 4.2 (known as jelly bean only) there have been several reports about a number of bugs in it. Owing to such reports, Google decided to launch a new firmware 4.2.1 to fix all the problems. The new firmware comes with a number of improvements and fixes including the Bluetooth problem. Whenever, an update is available for android the eager users start waiting for the update to reach their devices. The new update is now available for the Google Nexus 4 and Google Nexus 10 over the air. The size of the update is only 1.1 MB and is available over the internet.
One can check for the over the air update in the settings and about phone option but if you want to upgrade it manually then read the instructions below.
WARNING: Although, this process is tested but users are advised to follow it on their own risk. We are not liable for any problems or consequences faced because of the process.
- One need to have the firmware 4.2.1 update files. Click here.
- You need to have the latest version of adb on your system.
How to Update Google Nexus 4 & Nexus 10 :-
There are two different methods available using which one can update the new firmware.
a) With custom recovery
b) With Stock recovery
Using the Custom Recovery method
- Copy the zip file that you have downloaded above for your handset to the SD card.
- Switch of your device and restart in recovery mode.
- Choose Install ZIP from SD Card.
- In the SD card, navigate to the zip file.
- Flash the file.
- Restart the device normally.
Now your Google Nexus 4 or Google Nexus 10 device is upgraded to Android 4.2.1 Stock Recovery
Steps to Update Google Nexus 4 or Google Nexus 10 :-
- Switch off your system and reboot in fastboot mode. (press volume up and down buttons along with the power button)
- A menu will appear in front of you. Navigate to the recovery option and select it. The android logo will appear with an exclamation mark.
- Now, press the volume up button only along with power button.
- From the menu that appears, navigate to apply update from ADB.
- Connect your device to the system with the help of the USB cable. Now, run the command prompt. You will need to change the location to the folder where you have saved the downloaded zipped package containing the update files.
- In the command window type, adb sideload ZIP_FILE_NAME.zip. (Remember, you need to change the ZIP_FILE_NAME with the name of the actual zip file.)
- Now, just wait for the process to complete. Once the update is over the device will automatically reboot.
- Now your device is running on android 4.2.1
(We, once again recommend following the above procedure only if you cannot wait for the update. However, it is much better to update your devices over the air and wait for them patiently.)