The Canadian Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G have received various android ROM updates, among which Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean CM10.1 M2 firmware is the latest that can be installed by the handset users. As compared to the other nightly releases this ROM is more stable and thus if you own the Galaxy I9100G then you should certainly give it a try.
Disclaimer :-This tutorial is applicable only for the particular model mentioned in the title of this tutorial and not for any other Android device. So, don’t try this tutorial on any other devices. All the Official Firmwares, Custom ROMs, Tools, Mods, Apps and more such things acknowledged in this tutorial pertain to their particular owners or developers. Although, it is improbable that your Android device may get damaged or bricked if you follow the procedure mentioned in this tutorial. So, do it on your own risk. Also, ToDroid.com or the developers or the owners are not bound or liable to any harm caused while following the steps in this tutorial as we are not forcing you to try out this tutorial.
Firmware Details :-
The latest Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 M2 Custom ROM is not an official release and thus in order to install the zip file of the ROM, the users will need to have the custom recovery like ClockworkMod. Moreover since it is nightly build its installation may result in problems like boot loops, phone not getting boot and others. In order to come over these problems the reinstallation of the stock firmware or other custom ROM that is stable needs to be done.
Pre-requisites, Important Tips & Pre-cautions :-
- Make sure that :
- You have installed all the latest and updated USB Drivers of your Android device on your PC or Laptop.
- The battery of your Android device is charged and should have at least 70% – 80% power.
- USB Debugging Mode is “Enabled” on your Android device. You can find this in “Settings”.
- Your Android Device is “Rooted” and “ClockworkMod Recovery” is installed on your Device.
- You have performed “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and “Wipe Cache Partition” before proceeding from the recovery mode.
- Back Up :
- All your important data such as Call Log, Contacts, SMS Messages, Memos, Internet settings, WiFi settings, Android Apps and other data.
- All the Important files, Personal folders, Images , Songs, Videos, etc.
- Confirm the model number or type of your Android device before executing this tutorial.
- The ODIN Utility which is used in this installation procedure will only work in Windows OS. If you are using any other OS like Linux, Ubuntu or Mac OS on your PC then your will have to use HEIMDALL (Cross Platform Tool) to flash this firmware.
- Note :- The Custom Firmware or Custom ROM which is included in this tutorial might contain bugs and issues as it is still under development. All the bugs and issues will be fixed or resolved as the development process progresses. After installing the Custom ROM, Samsung Kies will not detect your device because it’s an unofficial Firmware.
How to Install CM10.1 M2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Custom Firmware on Canadian Galaxy S2 (I9100G)
Step By Step Guide :-
If you wish to update your handset with this latest custom ROM then the following given guide will be of great help to you.
2nd Step: Now you will need to connect the USB mass storage of your phone to the computer by using the USB cable.
3rd Step: In this next step of the procedure you will need to copy the zip files of the ROM and the Google apps to the root folder of your phone’s SD card.
4th Step: Now switch off your Smartphone and disconnect the USB cable in it from your PC.
5th Step: Now the next step is to get the phone in the Recovery Mode which can be made possible by switching ON the handset and then pressing the keys of Menu, Volume Up and Power together.
6th Step: Next comes the ClockworkMod recovery in which the full wipe of data is performed first and then by navigating to the option of flash from SD card it is selected by pressing the Power button.
7th Step: Now again the Power key is tapped so as to select the option of chose zip from SD Card.
8th Step: In this next step of the installation process, you will have to make use of the volume buttons in order to move to the zip file of the ROM and also select it by tapping the key of Power. These are the same files that have been copied earlier on the SD card of your handset. The process of the installation is confirmed on the next screen which will start the procedure.
For the zip file of the Google Apps the above given step is repeated again.
9th Step: On completion of the installation you will have to move back and also perform the reboot of your handset that you can do by selecting the option of reboot system now that is there in the recovery menu. Wait for some time as the first reboot may take around 5 minutes.
So with the completion of the above given steps, you will be able to successfully update your Galaxy S2 phone with the Android Jelly Bean CM10.1 M2 ROM. The updated version of the phone can also be confirmed by going to the Settings and then about Phone option.