Recently, AT&T customers who use the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (SGH-I957) were given access to a new official update to keep their device up to date. Android 4.0.4 ICS official firmware build I957UCLK4 has been released for users who would like to get more life out of their device. This can be downloaded from Samsung Keis, or installed manually without needing root access or Clockwork MOD to make it happen. This guide will take you through the entire process, and alert you to any needed precautions. Being that this is an official release, the entire process is much safer and will not void any warranties. You can upgrade your Galaxy Tab 8.9 to take advantage of the new enhancements without worry.
Firmware Features :-
- Enhanced Voice Recognition. Dictate for longer periods of time, stop and start again seamlessly with the new open mic improvements.
- Widgets are resizable and more versatile.
- Improved Spell Checker
- UI enhancements throughout the system. More intuitive and stylish interface.
- Lock Screens now can feature more options. Check certain items without having to unlock your device.
- Greater control over network data
This upgrade also provides many small improvements in everything from email to web browsing. You will also be able to directly connect to other devices over wifi. Plus much more!
Firmware Details :-
Backup and Other Precautions :
All data on the internal memory of your device will be lost during this process. Please take the time to sync your contacts to gmail, and back up all important data to your SD card. There are some apps out there which will help you completely back up your applications including all the contained data. many apps also sync with cloud services of one type or another. Take advantage of this to easily restore your tablet with all of your information in tact. Remember to get any important details for connecting to your usual wifi network so you don’t have to keep asking for passwords.
Ensure that you have at least 85% battery life. 100% is preferred since if your Galaxy loses power during the process, it might not fully recover.
How to Install Android 4.0.4 ICS Official Firmware on AT&T Galaxy Tab 8.9 (SGH-I957)
Since this an official build, you can go through this process without worry. There should be no unexpected problems. This firmware will be fully compatible with your Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (SGH-I957) but we cannot guarantee it will function properly on any other variants.
We do not accept any responsibility for what happens to your device during this process. The guide will help you successfully complete the upgrade but we urge you to fully understand the entire process.
Root Warning: This is an official update, so you will lose root access and need to regain that control in order to use apps requiring root again.
Steps to Install :-
- Download the Galaxy Tab 8.9 ICS 4.0.4 I957UCLK4 firmware to your computer and extract the zip file.
- Download ODIN v1.85 as it will help you to install this firmware on your device.
- Download and install the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 USB driver if you haven’t already.
- Switch off your tablet. To get into Download mode turn ON the tablet while pressing and holding the volume down and Power buttons until you see a Samsung logo or a construction Android with a triangle. That is Download Mode.
- Open ODIN on your computer. Connect your tablet to your computer using the USB cable while in download mode. If everything connects properly, you will see a ID:COM box turn yellow and display a COM port number. This can take some time.
- Now to install the files extracted from step 1 to install on your device.
- Click “PDA” and select the file with “CODE” in its file name.
- Click “Tablet” and choose the file with “MODEM” in the name. If you do not have this file, then ignore this step.
- Click “CSC” and choose the file with “CSC” in its name. If you do not have this file, then ignore this step.
- Click “PIT” and choose the .pit file. If you do not have this file, then ignore this step.
- In ODIN you will want to enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. If you have the .pit file you may choose from the re-partition options.
- Once you click on the Start button in the ODIN software, the installation process will begin. This may take several minutes.
Once your tablet restarts and you see the home screen you can then disconnect the USB cable. Just go to the “About Tablet” in settings to verify.