Users of the Asus PadFone 2, unique on the market by being a combination of a phone attached to a tablet device, will be happy to know that the standard Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware has just been updated to the new 4.1 Jelly Bean in Asian countries. While initially sent out as an OTA (over-the-air) update a manual installation can also be done to help bring your device up to date on the latest drivers.
Disclaimer: When doing any updates, whether they are manual or automatic, there is always some level of risk involved in corrupting some or all of the data on your device. As such, proceed with any updates at your own risk and be careful when choosing which update may be right for you. While we highly recommend always updating to the latest firmware in order to get the most out of your device always proceed with caution as you are ultimately the decision maker as to the functionality of your phone.
Firmware Features :
The Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update aims to improve the overall functionality of many features of the device, including :-
- More reliable and efficient USB Internet Sharing to reduce the risk of disconnections occurring
- Improved audio quality for any media playback
- Improved camera quality with enhanced photo-rendering and camera focus
- Updated GPS tracking software
- Image editing via the ASUS Studio platform
- Additional widget applications including BuddyBuzz, PinPal and the Floating Widget
- Improved streaming quality for media playback
- Additional fast adjustments added via the ASUS Quick Settings feature
Firmware Details and Download Links :-
Firmware Developer: Android
Firmware Version: 4.1 Jelly Bean
Location Downloads and Version Numbers :-
- HK (v10.4.5.36) Download
- TW (v10.4.5.36) Download
- CHT (v10.4.7.10) Download
- WWE (v10.4.7.10) Download
Backup & Other Precautions :
As always, update a device’s firmware runs the risk of potentially corrupting some or all of the data stored on your device. Be sure to backup your device and all of its data prior to initiating any updates, whether manually or through OTA update pushes, in order to avoid any complications from occurring. This can include :-
• Backing up all contacts and phone settings
• Backing up your call log, SMS, MMS or other application data (including third-party messaging software such as WhatsApp, WeChat or other programs)
• Backing up all media stored on your device
• Backing up all APN settings, including WiFi, GPRS, 3G or other pertinent connection info
In order to avoid potential data loss or corruption due to power failure you should also be sure to have your device fully charged (or nearly fully charged) prior to initiating the process in order to prevent any unnecessary and unwanted complications. The ideal minimum power level of any device prior to initiating an update is 85 percent of the battery’s total charge, though a full 100 percent charge should be targeted if you are able to do so.
How to Install Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Official Firmware on Asus PadFone 2
Most users in Asian countries will be able to simply update their phone via the OTA push of the firmware. For manual updating simply follow these instructions:
- Download the appropriate firmware listed above and extract the ZIP file to your computer. This ZIP file should contain another ZIP file necessary for the update to take place.
- Connect your device to your computer and copy the extracted ZIP file to the root directory of your device’s SD card.
- Reboot your tablet and wait for a notification to appear on your phone indicating that it has located the transferred ZIP file. Once the notification appears simply follow the on screen instructions to complete the update process.
Once the device has been fully updated it should reboot and allow you to begin exploring the new firmware immediately. Please note that turning off your device while it is updating or interrupting the update process in any way may cause damage to the data being installed on the device and should be avoided if possible. Following the update also be sure to test all previous applications to ensure they are still functional and, if necessary, proceed with restoring previously backed up data should any information have been lost during the firmware update process. Get quality multimedia messages by using a smart Nokia touch screen phone